
On the road I enjoyed this amazing read. It is the stunning sega of a average middle class college student who felt Jesus challenge him to live among the homeless of America as an act of advocacy and to deepen his trust in God. He and his friend hit the streets and lived with nothing, slept with the rats, befriended the desperate in the gutter for months. This touched a deep place in my heart because my heart is for the poor and Im on a quest to know how to express Christ among them. There was a particularly good quote in the end I wanted to blog:
"I really do think that caring for the needy begins with loving God more completely. Its in knowing and responding to His amazing love for us that we begin to set our priorities straight...Only in knowing God will we see people as they are, live as we were meant, and love as we were meant...our relationship with Him(G0d) didnt separate Mike and me from the needy and oppressed, rather it pushed us closer to them..." pg. 217
As I have set my foot to this path, I have often asked myself, "Where do I start?" The above statement is a neat little plumbline... to espress the Kingdom of God among the poor, first I must cultivate and deepen my connection with the King, Jesus. I think thats what season Im, although Im not emmersed in the poor fully yet, I can use this time to allow the Holy Spirit to ground me.
No comments:
Post a Comment