Thursday, May 29, 2008

Scrubbing in the Galley

Most of you readers know how my school rolls, but for those of you who dont we believe in community here at Bethany. Part of that means learning to work together, and to work well in preparation for a cross cultural life. So half the day we spend in class and chapel, the other half we work on campus - for free. I have always deeply enjoyed the rhythm of life here... its so good. To my delight I got a spot on the supper dish crew this summer, which I also did freshman year.

I scrub pots at a mad pace... (we call clean-up "rush" and have to work super hard, super fast, with super teamwork to clean up a kitchen for the whole school with only 4-5 people a nite) During these mad rushes, as Im in the rythm of it I sort of quiet down inside my heart and pray. Brother Lawrence wrote about "practicing the presence of God" while scrubbing pots, now I know what he means. I thank God for everything I can think of while Im slamming billions of green cafateria trays into the giant washer, with suds and steam swirling around my soaked apron. I also have been trying to learn the discipline of "practicing the presence of others" meaning that although its easy to get lost in my own thoughts, God has been beckoning me to be more focused on others, how their day is going, how i should pray for them... to learn to be constantly focused on how i can express encouragement to my crew, and work more smoothly by helping them....

Ah, scrubbing in the galley with my crew...

1 comment:

JassyMomma4 said...

Hey Hope!

It's funny because I was just realized that Pearl's blog linked to mine and that you had posted recently on our blog. As you can tell we aren't that good at keeping this one up to date but oh well... All in good time. Anyway I called Pearl to get your contact info because I'd love to see you while you are around. James and Beth Motz live here as well as Troy and Meleah Miller... (Don't know if you remember them) But Either way, Hopefully I'll get your info from her soon and I'll give you a buzz! Too bad I didnt' realize all this before tonight because we are heading to a Beki Hemingway concert thing-ish and I think if you don't know her that you would like her. Take care and talk to you soon!

Love, CarrieAnn