A dear older friend of mine and I were discussing how our culture has lost what true masculinity and feminity is... we have lost it and thus largely failed to call it forth in the generation emmerging. I shared with her how the Holy Spirit affirmed and called forth who I am as a woman, and what that means.The Holy Spirit's been shining clarity on my mind of Biblical femininity amidst our culture's confusion. He spoke it by a simple word, a word picture:
He told me I was like a delicate, beautiful, tender, fragrant rose - having all the characteristics unique to womanhood - tender beauty, nurturing and protecting life, and soft receptivity. Then He pointed out that every beautiful healthy rose is upheld by a strong stem. True femininity is trusting receptivity and nurturing, but complimented by an uprightness. To take only the soft aspects of womanhood without grit would leave me a spine of mush! Or to take it too far the other way I'd be militant. A correct picture of femininity is that rose - delicate, fragrant, tender, but upright into the sunlight, to stand against the wind. Every time I remember how my mother raised us four girls Im astounded at her ability to unselfishly care for us, alongside a terrific tenacity and cheerful objectivity.
Mom is perfect balance of beauty and quiet strength.
(*In the same way I believe true masculinity is the God given strength to lead, initiate, provide, and stand; yet all balanced by a spirit of meekness and compassion.)
3 comments:
I really love reading your posts Hope. They make me think and feel and imagine. Thanks for writing :)
You are beautiful in your femininity, Hope.
Hope, you are one of the most healthy and beautiful roses I know...I met that rose in Nepal and it was glorious...love you sweet sister!
Post a Comment