Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Mackinaw Island

This is a story, a sweet story of summer 2009...














I moved to Mackinaw Island with my little sister Grace, to share a special season, and to save some money and have a few adventures. Little did I anticipate what a grand escapade God had in mine for me on this blessed isle. Little did I know I'd learn about LOVE, and be connected into a community in a deep way, yet in such a short period of time. Little did I know what I'd learn about being salt, and light, how to serve, and how to connect with people no matter where they are coming from, for the sake of the love of Christ.



I first waitressed at a little old school diner called "Pancake House." I loved it. All the girls and I became like sisters, and every day was full of laughter and hard work, running like a crazy person as we got slammed and our sections were full of hungry island people and tourists. As my manager said, "Turn 'em and Burn 'em." In other words, get people's drinks and order, deliver the food, smile, flirt, slam the check, and get them out the door before they know what happened to them. Yes, and before you know it you've turned your section ten times in a few hours and made over a hundred in tips in one morning. Good times. I loved getting to know all my "regulars" and having the old folks know my name. My favorite is Richard, a retired schoolteacher who taught French and German. He came in every day except for sunday, and had the same thing: one egg over medium, one english muffin, coffee, and water. He said rock music was crap and loved fiction novels. He is a dear old soul, and still waves every time we see each other on the street.













Housing was an interesting and blessed aspect of life on Mackinaw. I first moved into "Corby" also called "Hor-by" by islanders. (A pretty accurate summary of this college sorority like women's housing. It was a pretty loose party every nite. A party I did my best to avoid, and managed to enjoy life and get a few hours of sleep anyway.) My room was off the living room, so it certainly was noisy. And I was the only one who cleaned out that stuffed fridge all summer, which had milk in it from June. A few hundred girls on two floor meant alot of craziness, but I fell in love with everyone there. Loving them made me open up and make friends even if our lifestyles differed. I certainly was forced out of my contemplative little bubble, and became a little social bug in short order. Between waitressing and the crazy housing I came out of my shell. Even if I got dragged kicking and screaming out of my contemplative ways, God used this time to open me up to love, love people, love serving them and being with them and forget about myself and the things I think about. Yet at the same time I learned about priorities. How to gaurd my prayertime, like my own life, because without it I have nothing. God gave me favor to connect with people and make friends in a way I never have before. I know nearly all the season workers on the island, and people greet me by name. I dont want to waste this influence. People have loved and opened up to me here, as I have served and opened up to them - they think Im a little strange for not drinking, but they know I want to be their friend. I felt like a mother to all those post highschool girls who came to work here for the summer and got wasted every night, bless their foolish little hearts, I tried to be there for them and I love them all.


After Corby and Pancake, I moved onto working at Nadia's Fashion Shop. Better hours and better housing. (mostly) Couldnt do 50+ hours a week, for the rest of the season, so I made a good switch. I moved in above Doud's market on the corner. Its old and smelly and my feet started to itch from walking around barefoot on that who-knows-what-happened-on-that-carpet, carpet. Thankfully Grace was able to move in with me here. My neighbors are the guys from the Doud's Deli, and I LOVE these four men. They like to party in Island tradition, and even if me and Grace dont, somehow we've all become friends and enjoy being neighbors. Me and Grace cook and clean and keep this place in order.














Ive spent many a hour cooking and praying for the 4 dear gentlemen I live with. I pray for their souls, that they would know God and the real meaning to life - His love. Maybe they'll get it someday after they see us folding their laundry, making potroast and scrubbing the toilet I swear they havnt cleaned since May. I realized after Nepal, I live for community. Its hard to barely know people who live on the other side of a wall. Why do people go in their rooms, watch tv, and shut the door after work? We were created to share and be friends.











O Mackinaw Island, Ive grown to love you. You unique little island you. A place where unexpected, adventure, and community, just... happened. Im sad to leave in a few weeks, so Im thankful, savoring these last moment and recounting the joys.












This is "Crossroads" the Biblestudy/prayergroup I joined this summer, and led this fall. Some of the faces from this summer have sadly come and gone, but this is the current group. They have become,....family. We have laughed, cried, and sought God together. We study Revelation, and are preparing as a community for His coming. I love watching God take my tiny efforts of preparation, all the unseen hours "eating the scroll" and He multiplies my efforts, taking them to the moon, raising up forerunners all around me, one person at a time.













Mackinaw Island BibleChurch: Ill miss you too. The little group that meets in the theater. For Pastor Ken and his wife Laurie - amazing people who have grown me. Working with Laurie at Nadia's Fashion Shop has been fun and I feel like Ive been mentored while we've enjoyed the retail business together.



Since Mackinaw Island doesnt have cars, Ill miss riding everywhere on my bike. (Affectionatly named "The BlueRocket" with Tommy's help) Ive riden it, rain, or shine, and re-found it the multiple times, after it got swiped and left somewhere on the island. (The cops found it once.) It was my fault for not locking it the first 2 months, I figured somebody needed it more than I, if they "borrowed" it... but having to re-find it was too much work, so I smartened up and bought a lock.





















Ive had so much fun here. Too much fun. Ive remembered how to laugh again -on a daily basis- in a way I havnt since I was in Jr. high! Life has more halarious and awkward moments to giggle about than I realized...Its "food for the soul" as Barbie taught me. Ive laughed so hysterically I've cried, snorted, and shrieked...










Ive made best friends here, unexpectedly. People that I know, Ill stay in touch with, for life. People that Ive gotten to know quite well. hanging out often - sharing good times and deep talks. late nite walks. sprawling out on random docks. under the stars. Ill never forget it. One sweet soul, is Kathleen, who I call DLF - dear little friend. And Tommy, affectionatly named TomTom. And I would run out of space writing each story and face that has grown dear to me here...








Sometimes I think I'll go stir-crazy if I stay on this itty bitty island much longer, or cry if I leave. I cant bear to think it over yet, so Im doing my best to recount all the good, with thankfulness. Maybe Ill bike around the 8 mile radius and just sing... meanwhile, Im off the the "Beanery" coffeeshop for a "Roundtable" (discussion of planning our early birthday bash) with Kat, TomTom, and the crew.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! I'm so glad you where able to be on the Island with everyone including Grace!
Love you honey, and can't wait to see you both back home,
Love,
Mom

Richee said...

Loved the update and the nutshell of your time there Hope! It sounds a lot like when Grace and I were in Durango, CO. What fun! Love ya sister!