India was indescribable, & by far one of my favorite travels! We took a jeep to the border (packed full of nepalis, one of whom was throwing up out the window haha) and the train down to kolkota. travelling days i could be found sleeping in the most random places - on top of a cardboard box, a bench, a train bunk, the ground...





Kolkota is an old city - crammed full of people, with streets jammed with crowds, taxis, and rickshaws. The old feel of the city had a nostalgic romantic sence to me, with bright colored paints faded from monsoon rains and peeling off every wall. You could see the influence of the British colonization everywhere, like east meeting west; imagine women in bright saaris standing in front of brick buildings with shutters while 50's style yellow taxis cruise down the street! It was a diverse place of contrasts and beauty. The gap between the rich and poor was much more notable than in kathmandu. On one hand you would see beggars sleeping on the street, and then run into well dressed wealthy indians while riding the metro trains underground.
We got the priveledge of serving at Mother Theresa's homes, which I posted about. I dont have pictures from there, or much of the poor of Kolkota... because Im struggeling to capture glimpses with my camera while still protecting the dignity of persons I encounter. I wouldnt want someone clicking away photos of me if I was suffering on my deathbed or begging on the street... so I rarely take pictures of these precious people. at least not without their consent.
We also got the chance to the hospitality of some of our staff down there, and tour a few amazing businesses providing freedom for women who have been in the trade. We learned about kolkota's red light district - how women and children are kidnapped and sold from india and nepal into this dark prison. Even young girls are enslaved, standing along this street in a line, waiting for their next customer. (Which is why prostitution in this city is called "working the line") But I saw hope and freedom for these beloved, through businesses that provide a means of earning money with dignity. Some women can choose to leave the trade, depending on their relationships with the pimp - others are completely trapped. I was deeply moved with the reality of this injustice and I challenge you to know your prayers and involvement could mean life or death for these women and children. I was reminded once again of the Lord's soon return and the sureness of His kingdom coming - He will not fail to bring justice - lets join Him now!
It was a good trip. I loved serving the poor down there and seeing Jesus in them. I loved drinking chai out of a clay pot and then smashing it on the ground. (as is the custom) The sweltering heat reminded me of my time in Cambodia, and it was good. For the first time I started liking the color blue (seemed like it was everywhere - paint, jewelry, clouds) and eating onions raw with roti and rice!
The trip sparked dreams in me, dreams of my future, dreams of the great things God can do through His people. He will only do through us what we agree, or believe Him for. God made me to be a vessell overflowing with His love, He made me for great things! I am learning to shoot for the stars, dream big, pray bigger, and worship my mighty Lord!
2 comments:
Thanks for posting some awsome pictures! Hope you are well. Call me soon and let me know how you are.
Love,
Mom
Amazing shots! thanks for posting - peace out girl scout
Post a Comment