Wednesday, April 1, 2009

funny stories...





*thats my Nepali sister. sometimes during dinner if i bring my camera things get a little out of hand.

*The other nite due to power outages, I was reading by candle lite. I was curled up in my bed with a book in one hand and the candle in the other (hey you have to get creative out here sometimes) when i decided to bend over and put something on the floor... just then i started to smell something funny and see a bright light out of the corner of my right eye - I LIT MY HEAD ON FIRE!!! I screamed and did an improv "stop, drop, & roll" only it was more like, "scream, profusely smacking my head and throwing myself into my pillow" to put it out. HAHAHHA it was pretty funny after the fact, and I only lost a small amount of hair off the bottom layers in the back of my head, I didnt burn any skin. (My roommate still thinks witnessing this was the funniest thing ever)

*one time one of us had super bad diarrhea and so we had to grab an emmergancy taxi (usually we ride public transportation for a few rupees) we all pile into the taxi, its amazing how many people you can fit in a few narrow seats in nepal. my favorite part was when our teammate who was having stomach issues goes, "I have to sit in the front by myself, if I sit on you I might poop on you!" HAHAHA. Or another time i had super bad diarrhea and ended up jumping off the tempo (public transportation, like a mini bus) sprinting across the road frantically looking for a bathroom in the dark. Yup. lets just say luckily I did find a bathroom. just in time and not a second later...


*apprently our ancient landlords best friend thinks he's a prophet. in fact he has said he is jesus. he makes some wild claims and he is "always right." one of them was declaring to our landlord that me and my roommates are american CIA and that we are undercover moles planted in nepal. (the terrible thing was our landlord believed him, got super worried about it, and called one of our supervisors) thankfully, i think the drama's died down at this point.



*WMF has a home for abandoned widows (where I volunteer every wednesday) and one of the little old ladies there claims to have a treasure buried at Swayambou. (a giant temple in our neighborhood) Whenever we see her she talks about it, describing the details in great glory. Sometimes she even drops her voice to a low whisper, because you know you cant talk about treasure without hushed tones. She usually asks us to take her away so she can get her treasure. (She cant walk) we smile and nod.



*The other nite me and Kelsey were walking in a downpour to her nepali family's place. I quite enjoy how dramatic we get about everything. Winding through a series of rainy dark alleys, we were inching along a brick wall at one point... when Kelsey goes "Watch out for this big puddle" (the alley was completely flooded) "there are rats in the water and Lela says its toilet water." (me) "Great! toilet water." (As I cant avoid stepping into the muddy mess to get to the other side.



or the other nite walking back from Biblestudy with Kara, "O my gosh, whats that!!!" (Kara starts to freak out and stands still in the road as two fighting dogs attack each other and come nearer growling) I picked up a brick "Dont worry Kara! Ive got a stone the size of that dogs head!!!" (the dogs eventually went away as we threw stones and kept walking)



just know that all our dramatic whining never materializes, all in all we always end up quite safe, maybe just a little wet and dirty. HAHHA i love being on a team of girls in Nepal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha!
Love ya,
Mom