"If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were precisely those who thought most of the next. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this." -CS Lewis
"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither." -CS Lewis
I desire the Lord's heart for those around me, with eternal perspective in mind. The whole thrust of our society dulls us to believe there is nothing more to this life than seeking one's own good, eating, drinking, marrying and dying. Sometimes I feel the pull of this lie, in the work world and my surroundings here - but every time I take a moment to acknowledge the presence of God with me, I am brought back to reality that there is another age coming. I do not want to be passive about the lives of the lost around me, as if they are "ok" apart from the Lord. They are not ok, they are dying and going to hell. I felt this dullness creeping up on me, but I cried out and asked the Holy Spirit to give me His heart, and He has been answering that prayer.
"The safest road to hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts." -CS Lewis
Me and Grace currently live in employee housing here on the island. All I have to say is that the 4 dudes in our hall are characters, and we've put up with our fair share of shanagins from them. The hall smells like pot on a daily basis and sometimes its so bad we have to prop the kitchen door open and light candles! Amidst all their drunken messes, sleazy carrying about with bad company, and never ending noise - I want to leave! We keep our room locked and hide away in here, but that doesnt change their desperate need for Jesus. I want to love them, and I do, I have emmense affection in my heart for them. But its not enough, I need the love of God for them to teach me to pray as I ought to. They are lost and spiraling down a hopeless path apart from Jesus. Before I went to sleep and this morning I just turned on worship music and looked at His face - declaring who He is - I refuse to this situation get in the way of worship, and worship is ultimatly the most powerful intercession I can do in this place. I am glad Im out of here the end of next week, meanwhile my heart is broken for my friends in this hall even if they are rotton.(*Im rotton too. If it wasnt for the saving power of Jesus I'd perhaps be worse off then they.)
No comments:
Post a Comment