
Sider’s book was an eye opening look at poverty today and the church’s response, as prophetic representatives of God’s kingdom.
The section of the book about God’s heart toward the poor was amazing. I began to see Yahweh in a whole new light, as He reveals Himself as the liberator of the oppressed. Of all the ways we can become educated about poverty, I think revelation from the Holy Spirit is most important. Being intimately connected to God’s response to their plight will drive us into action. Familiar Biblical stories take on a whole new meaning in light of the poor. Israel’s exodus from Egypt was Yahweh’s deliverance from slavery. The Incarnation was not merely that the God-man would die for the sins of the earth but that He would rise again to return as the triumphant King reigning in justice! I was also struck by the seriousness of the sins of coveting, greed, neglect, and oppression of the poor. It hit me that God judged Sodom and Gomorrah not only by their sexual immorality but also their gluttony and oppression of the poor! The church has sadly taken a one sided perspective of sin, only revering certain ones as truly evil and forgetting the seriousness of others. I believe the modern church is calloused to the gravity of our sins against the poor. I myself am guilty of excessive waste, and direct or indirect participation with corporations that oppress the poor. The more that God reveals this knowledge to me, the more I am driven into repentance. I desire to be a living expression of Christ’s mission in Isa. 61:1-3, which is a Holy Spirit empowered “good news to the poor.” My heart said yes to Sider’s challenge in the end of the book. “If you want to be a member of God’s generous minority, I invite you to do one simple thing each day. It will only take a minute but it might change your life. Daily stop for a moment, look into the face of Jesus Christ and whisper softly, ‘Lord Jesus, teach my heart to share your love for the poor.’”

Perhaps what stuck out to me most was the practical passages. “How now should we live?” was the question echoing in my mind in response to every chapter about injustice and hunger. True repentance means a change of lifestyle and not just remorse. I felt deep remorse as I read, because I bear the gravity of the West’s greed. I spent more on a pack of gum the other day than most third world citizen’s earn as a day’s wage. I consume, and allow advertisements to convince me that I need “more” when I already have a gross excess. I am not excused from conviction regardless of how simply I already live; I can see now that my life lacks the intentional steps to truly be a good steward. I believer that the more intentional I become as a steward by budgeting, the more I will have a capacity to plumb the joys of true generosity. What does it look like to repent and live prophetically as a true representative of Christ’s coming Kingdom? If I am disobedient or offended by His leadership of justice in scriptures today, how much more when He reigns? It is my prayer that I would fully get on board with His Kingdom ways now, that I may be prepared when He comes.
I was startled by John Wesley’s message to the church that “Christians… should give away all but the plain necessities of life, that is plain wholesome food, clean clothes, and enough to carry on one’s business. One should earn what one can, justly and honestly. Capitol need not be given away.” This lifestyle is congruent with Christ’s Kingdom teaching, and not just a good suggestion to believers. I sadly had to answer the question, “Am I more American, or Christ-like?” Sider’s practical suggestions of living simply were understandable and got me thinking. I made a list of the ones I felt I could begin with, that I can take to prayer and my community. I joyfully discovered that simplicity, although a sacrifice, will reap exponential benefits. My heart knows that I am not filled by the things that I consume or own, but rather by love alone. I know 2009 will begin a new season of economics in my life.
This book also raised many questions for me. With this holistic perspective of the true gospel, I was challenged to ask God where my place is in bringing justice to the poor. I noticed in Christ’s life He completed an exact mission. Although their was endless needs in Palestine, Jesus followed the Father’s voice. He could have liberated Israel from Rome, addressed the oppression of the Samaritans, or a hundred other causes! In the same way, I am challenged when looking at the vast needs of the oppressed, because I desire to be about my Father’s business. What is my niche? It seems the church has a gross dichotomy when it comes to evangelizing and working for justice and reform. Perhaps the problem is that the church lacks knowledge of the true gospel. The gospel of the kingdom is freedom, a freedom that comes from surrender to the lordship of the King. This King redeems men’s hearts and will one day make all things in this world new. A Biblical understanding is always navigated first by the needs of the heart, but not without total connection to the rest of a person. I want to preach forgiveness of sins and allow the Holy Spirit to demonstrate the kingdom of God through me in signs and wonders; as well as using my hands and voice to work for justice, equality, and freedom!
On a closing note, the beautiful word “Jubilee” took on a special meaning for me after reading this book. Jubilee was the seventh year in Israel’s theocratic system, for restoration. Everything was set back in order - slaves went free, the land rested, debts paid. Jubilee ultimantly states that all things belonged to Yahweh. So also Christians today ought to live out Jubilee principals, as demonstrations of the liberation of the coming King!
No comments:
Post a Comment