Saturday, January 17, 2009

Simplicity

Lately I find myself inspired by Rich Mullins, and a few saints of old like St. Francis of Assissi and St. Clare.

Rich Mullins could have lived quite comfortably considering how well loved his music was - but he took a vow of poverty which limited his living resources and made the rest available as margin for extravegent giving. The later end of his short life was spent teaching music to children on an Indian reservation while Rich lived on a small church salary.





St. Francis was born into wealth and plumbed the depths of current pleasures and entertainments to discover he was having a spiritual crisis in his early twenties... upon encountering a beggar in the market, he ran after him and gave the poor man everything in his pocket... and eventually his pilgrimage for meaning led him to receive a call from the Lord to "rebuild His church." Thus he spent his life in service to the oppressed, in poverty for solidarity among them, and preaching the truth.



I've been thinking about saints like these, and thinking about some of the things I've been reading in the sermon on the mt. I've come to the conclusion that I want to be radical, and not just on the fringes of some meaningful bandwagon. I want to truly understand and embody the kingdom of Jesus. I've living for the greatest love in the world - His name is Jesus - and the greatest revolution about the take place - His return as King. So Im putting all my stock into the age to come... and I've committed to live simply, and learn what that means.

I wouldnt call it a vow of poverty, because I think some of the saints of old got it wrong, thinking God likes poverty just because Jesus was born in a stable for solidarity. I think God was more making the statement that He isnt too proud, in His love, to be one of us, even one of us poor. God has a very very special care for the poor, and He values their faith, but it seems to me that poverty isnt His design. I had a friend a few years back who would eat out of trashcans. Not that he had too, but because he though it meant he trusted God more, or was more special to God or something. Somehow I dont buy that. In light of the Kingdom coming, and in light of the oppression I saw poverty brought in Cambodia - I cant act as though poverty is ok in God's kingdom. My vow of simplicity is simply an agreement with God that Im living for the kingdom coming, not the present age; and in practical terms that just determines what I'll do with what I make with my hands. (But also in light of the sermon on the mt. Im learning that giving stuff is supposed to be secret) Ive committed to simplicity so I'll be able to stand amidst the economic pressures coming before Christ's return, and for solidarity with the oppressed so I can tell them the truth in love. Its also selfish in part, because I want the benefits of giving and the freedom to trust God, jump on a train anywhere, and not be concerned that there wont be enough, or whose going to take care of my stuff... I know this will be a journey of grace, and I can garuntee Im going to mess up, I already have made plenty of mistakes spending too much or not saving at times I should have. But I really want to learn to honor God with what I have, even if it takes a long time of learning!

Seems like right around new years there was a clear line in the sand drawn for me, and God offered me a strange, free, life on His terms - or to continue the wider path i was aimlessly trying to find my way on. Of course I went with Him, and I feel more and more relieved each time He lets me in on what this is going to really look like.

No comments: